August 4, 2022
The metropolis of Albuquerque has been awarded Solsmart’s Gold Designation For his or her strides in photo voltaic power use. Solsmart is a nationwide designation program that acknowledges cities, counties, and regional organizations that foster The event of mature photo voltaic markets. By buying gold, the City has taken An monumental step forward, and is blazing The path in the direction of making Albuquerque a nationwide chief in renewable power.
The metropolis assists power insurance covperiodge policies That are carried out To Guarantee a clear emissions future. The transition to a renewable power financial system is already underway, and this designation displays the calls to movement from Albuquerque’s frontline communities captured Inside the 2021 Local climate Action Plan. Solsmart reviewed Albuquerque’s efficiency in speedy photo voltaic permitting critiques, quantity of photo voltaic put in at City amenities, photo voltaic look ation and teaching processes, and accessible photo voltaic assets to residents in its qualification standards.
“I am so Joyful with the City’s work So far in embracing renewable power period,” said Officer, Kelsey Rader. “It is Simply one An factor of the work We now have carried out to fight climate change Collectively with adopting clear transportation and advancing power effectivity.”
This gold designation reveals Albuquerque has the pure assets, insurance covperiodge policies, and partnerships Important to Wind up to be a nationwide chief in renewable power. The metropolis’s Sustainability Office partnered with the Planning and Municipal Enchancment departments To understand this designation.
“We would like our residents to have All of the devices and assist They Want to make A neater transition to renewable power,” said Alan Varela, Planning Director. “Our staff is absolutely outfitted to problem permits and look at photo voltaic arrays shortly and effectively.”
“Renewable power is The Prolonged time period For everyone in Albuquerque,” said Saif Ismail, Energy and Sustainability Supervisor. “The metropolis is turning Proper into a nationwide chief in photo voltaic and is encouraging a greater photo voltaic market.”
These sustainability efforts are a mannequin for creating renewable power options, whereas creating new financial alternatives by levperiodging New Mexico’s plentiful photo voltaic assets. The rating builds on the Keller administration’s substantial work So far on sustainability, together with:
- Utilization of 88% renewable power for municipal opperiodtions with the completion of the Solar Direct enterprise,
- A $2.7 million fedperiodl grant to convey The primary electrical buses to Albuquerque,
- Signed the Paris Settlement, after President Trump pulled out, committing the metropolis to climate movement,
- Set up of 38 photo voltaic tasks at metropolis-owned buildings,
- Ranked as 4th highest huge U.S. City For many photo voltaic put in per capita by Environment America’s Shining Cities 2022 Report,
- Launching of the Mayor’s Energy Problem to assist native companies scale again power use,
- Gained Bloomberg American Cities Local climate Problem with funding for sustainability efforts,
- Transition to extra sustainable LED road lights metropoliswide,
- Provided over 200 homes with free power audits and upgrades in partnership with PNM, Partnership for Group Action and Prosperity Works,
- Procurement of the all-electrical automobiles for the City fleet, and enactment of a “Zero Emissions First” fleet car adoption covperiodge,
- Achievement of LEED for Cities Silver certification,
- Ranked 31st out of over 100 U.S. Cities for genperiodl sustainability on the 2021 City Clean Energy Scorecard by the American Council for an Energy-Environment nice Economy (ACEEE),
- Set up of 20 electrical charging stations with 36 charging ports throughout City amenities
- Launch of the 2021 Local climate Action Plan.